Software Engineer (Conversational Interfaces)
About the role
We're hiring a Software Engineer to take technical ownership of our conversational experiences product suite. You'll help shape cutting-edge AI-driven online experiences, smart product recommendations, or whatever else your product team determines will help world-renowned brands to engage users and drive sales.
We use an evolving variety of technologies, including: Tensorflow, Dialogflow, AWS (Kinesis, Lambda, ECS, IoT MQTT Broker, etc.), modern web technologies (Sass, ES6, React, Redux, etc.), Golang, Scala or Node.js, Spark, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Terraform, Docker and Thoughtworks Go.
Are you a dab-hand with a few of these? Keen to gain experience with some of the others? Read on....
What you'll do
- Work in a multi-functional agile team to design and deliver marketing technology products.
- Drive and facilitate team discussions on product features, technical design sessions, planning and retrospectives.
- Work closely with product managers, data scientists and designers, using your technical know-how to shape product and prioritisation decisions.
- Ensure adequate test coverage, load testing and performance monitoring of your products.
- Own large or complex stories, breaking them down into sub-tasks, prioritising them pragmatically, and pulling in others as necessary.
- Communicate technical decisions through clear and concise documentation, tech talks, and the wiki.
- Participate in the second-line on-call rota to support our systems in production.
- Mentor junior engineers through collaboration and code review.
- Demo your work to the company occasionally at our weekly Show & Tell.
Is this you?
Here are our hopes for the person filling this role. Nobody will meet all of them, and we'd love you to be honest about the growth opportunities this role would offer you.
- You multiply your team's efforts by improving processes, building relationships, and prioritising shrewdly, while accounting for the diverse skills and passions of those around you.
- You’re emotionally intelligent: aware of your motivations, in control of your emotions, good with people, and empathetic.
- You communicate clearly and respectfully in a way that’s appropriate to your audience. You ask the right questions and avoid making assumptions.
- You understand agile processes and know how to iterate on them to the team's benefit, fostering a data-informed, blameless culture.
- You believe in code review – we use PRs in GitHub – and put quality at the heart of your work.
- You're comfortable with system architecture, and able to reason about non-functional requirements like performance, scalability and security when designing systems.
- You’re happy to get to grips with the evolving set of tools we use for continuous delivery on AWS.
- You have experience building backend systems using Golang, Scala or Node.js to power consumer-facing products at scale.
- You are comfortable working with Data Scientists and Data Science technologies (Python, R, etc.) to take prototypes to production-ready systems.
- You have experience of working with AI, big data or conversational technologies (e.g. Tensorflow, Apache Spark & Dialogflow).
- You are comfortable building software that harnesses AWS managed services (or those of a similar cloud environment).
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, TDD, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We enjoy a vibrant working environment in Covent Garden – very well-connected and surrounded by loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Team members have also organised a lunchtime pool league, weekly football game, visiting manicure service, and deals on local gym classes.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- a high spec MacBook Pro
- private medical insurance (taxable)
- life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- extra day's holiday on your birthday
- childcare vouchers
- flexible office hours
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products, and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
- We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
- We'll arrange a 45 minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience and your approach to working within an agile team.
- We'll invite you to our office to meet our team and take part in a 45-minute work sample task. We'll provide a laptop loaded with a project and some instructions, which will reflect the sort of work you'd be doing in the role. We'll then spend 30 minutes talking through your solution and answering any other questions you may have, and 40 minutes in a mock definition session with team members from across different disciplines. The whole visit lasts about 2 hours.
Any questions? If you have any queries whatsoever, there’s a box on the application form where you can let us know. We'll address them by e-mail or during the phone interview.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.