Data Engineer - Trends
About the role
As a Data Engineer at Beamly you will work as part of the Data Platform team, responsible for both continually improving and maintaining our Greenfields Data Platforms, as well as supporting the wider data science and data engineering teams through a combination of rigorous automation and tooling.
You will come from a software or systems engineering background and have an aptitude for pre-empting issues, automating repetitive and manual task, and finding root causes. You’ll help us find and fix things before they even become problems.
What you'll do
Do you love working with data? Do you take pride all your pipeline status's being green? Do you enjoy working with large data and distributed systems in both an ops and software environment? Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Work in a team of software engineers and data scientists to build data driven products
- Participate in and facilitate team discussions on product features, technical design sessions, planning and retrospectives.
- Ensure adequate test coverage, load testing and performance monitoring of your products
- Participate in the second-line on-call rota to support our systems in production
- Productionise and build ETL pipelines
- Build and work with ingestion data flows
- Work alongside Data Scientists to help them build production ready code
- Build API’s to front-end data science models with appropriate levels of security, authentication, logging, and modelling.
- Use terraform, AWS lambda, and Docker to build application components and AWS infrastructure
- Demo your work to the company occasionally at our weekly Show & Tell.
Is this you?
Here are our hopes for the person filling this role. Nobody will meet all of them, and we'd love you to be honest about the growth opportunities this role would offer you and you’re happy to get to grips with the evolving set of tools we use for continuous delivery on AWS.
- You understand agile processes and know how to iterate on them to the team's benefit, fostering a data-informed, blameless culture.
- You believe in TDD’s and code review – we use PRs in GitHub – and put quality at the heart of your work.
- You're comfortable with system architecture, and able to reason about non-functional requirements like performance, scalability and security when designing systems.
- Programming Languages:
- Python (preferred)
- Node.js (advantageous)
- Docker (preferred)
- AWS Lambda (preferred)
- Google Vision (advantageous)
- AWS ECS (advantageous)
- RedShift (preferred)
- Postgres (preferred)
- AWS Athena (optional)
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the development of an indispensable platform, built using state of the art technology by a diverse and talented team. You’ll join the Data Platform team in our dynamic central Covent Garden office. We practise TDD, continuous integration, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, Friday ‘Show & Tell’, regular hack days, and set time aside for continuous improvement and learning.
We are keen to see our engineers flourish and will dedicate time to helping you improve the breadth and depth of your professional skill set. We will also provide help with obtaining AWS certifications.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- A high spec MacBook Pro
- Complimentary fruit, snacks, bagels and drinks
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Additional holiday on your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
Beamly is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products, and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
- We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
- We'll arrange a 45 minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience and your approach to working within an agile team.
- We'll invite you to our office to meet our team and take part in a 45-minute work sample task. We'll provide a laptop loaded with a project and some instructions, which will reflect the sort of work you'd be doing in the role. We'll then spend 30 minutes talking through your solution and answering any other questions you may have, and 40 minutes in a mock definition session with team members from different disciplines. The whole visit lasts about 2 hours.
Any questions? If you have any queries whatsoever, there’s a box on the application form where you can let us know. We'll address them by e-mail or during the phone interview.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.