Head of Data Science
Beamly is a fast-growing next generation digital marketing and technology agency with gross revenues of $120m+ and a team of 160+ sitting primarily in London and New York but with broader delivery teams right across the world.
Beamly’s product team of 70+ product managers, engineers, designers and data scientists sit entirely in our Covent Garden, London offices. Beamly was acquired by COTY Inc in October 2015, which as the 3rd largest beauty company in the world has opened up uniquely rich engagement across global brands including Calvin Klein, Gucci, Burberry, Rimmel, Max Factor, Covergirl, Sally Hansen, Wella and Clairol. Further Beamly has a growing client base outside of COTY and outside of beauty.
About the Role
The current Beamly Product strategy scope comprises of 4 inter-related areas:
Marketing Science: Products and services that utilise 1st to 3rd party data to discover and better predict effective content messaging, creative approaches, targeting criteria and target platforms for digital marketing campaigns
Content Foundry: Products and services that enable brands to use data to make more effective and more engaging campaign content, sourcing from Beamly and Beamly-accredited digital-first, mobile-first creative partners
Media Optimization: Products and services that enable real-time optimization of social and programmatic digital marketing campaigns according to brand objectives
Website and eCommerce: Products and services that deliver next gen website hosting, building, dynamic user journey optimization, engagement and conversion into e-commerce and in store activation
- Defining a strategy for the continuous improvement of Beamly’s data science capabilities; ensuring it is inline with both emerging industry practice and client needs
- Managing and developing a growing team of data scientists with a broad cross-section of skills and backgrounds
- Contributing to the development of the Marketing Science function as part of the leadership team, working alongside the Head of Automation and Head of Insight
- Ensuring high quality standards of all statistical and analytical output
- Contributing to the Beamly product strategy, ensuring data opportunities are fully realised and exploited
- Seeking out and championing new innovations in data, building proof of concept data products wherever possible
- Communicating and evangelising Beamly’s data science capabilities as well as capturing valuable feedback from stakeholders to ensure both commercial and technical best practices.
- Working closely with Beamly commercial leads to ensure projects and outputs are exceeding client expectations
- Maintaining oversight of team’s activites to ensure productivity and monitoring revenue targets
- Contributing to decisions around build/buy/ally for data products and capabilities
Skills and Experience
- A senior manager with experience of leading teams of data scientists
- Previous experience in a digital marketing, consumer internet, or other technology oriented organisation.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with C-level stakeholders
- Higher degree in maths, statistics, or other related analytical discipline
- Extensive experience of a broad range of data science tools, including SQL, programming (R, Python or similar), visualisation, automation, machine-learning
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary teams alongside engineers, product owners, UX designers, and analysts
- Experience using a multitude of disparate data sources and tools to deliver creative solutions to answer challenging questions
- Intuitively understand drivers of business objectives and have the vision to look beyond the dayto-day and provide strategic direction for the business
- Proven experience of software delivery in an agile development environment.
- Proven ability to understand and apply industry knowledge, market awareness and strategic business goals to data science strategy and planning.
- Good understanding of the technologies relevant to digital marketing, in particular web platforms, social platforms and digital display advertising.
- Experience managing commercial and contractual relationships with third party suppliers and partners.
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, TDD, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We enjoy a vibrant working environment in Covent Garden – very well-connected and surrounded by loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Team members have also organised a lunchtime pool league, weekly football game, visiting manicure service, and deals on local gym classes.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
a high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
private medical insurance (taxable)
life assurance (4 x base salary)
25 days’ holiday per annum
Extra day's holiday on your birthday
flexible office hours