Art Director, Consumer Beauty
Beamly is a next-gen digital marketing agency and part of Coty Inc.
Headquartered in London, with a US hub based in New York City’s Empire State Building, we are fearless innovators of the art and science of digital marketing, combining engaging content creation, intelligent technology and state-of-the-art marketing science to deliver the future of digital marketing.
We are a passionate bunch of creatives, strategists, technologists, data scientists and brand specialists working in an independent and creative culture. A role in our team allows you to advance your skill set as a subject expert but also exposes you to a much wider business offering diversified training and development opportunities for a long-term career path.
Within Beamly NYC’s office, there is a Consumer Beauty-focused unit, designed to spearhead digital excellence for core Coty brands. This pivotal unit leverages consumer data to drive meaningful engagement for Consumer Beauty brands across key platforms, connecting the brands 24/7 with their consumers.
As a part of this unit, the creative content team are essential for the ideation, creation and delivery of thumb-stopping content, responding to new trends and exciting potential customers with dynamic content. The consumer beauty Art Director works in close partnership with a team of Content Strategists/writers and a digital designer to drive the development of ravishing visual concepts for the biggest beauty brands in the world.
You will be used to working in a demanding and fast paced environment, and be flexible to accommodate rapidly changing workflow and client demands with relentless enthusiasm and ownership.
The job requires collaborative, creative spirit, hands-on design and art direction skills and the passion to help us inspire internal teams and present to clients.
- Responsible for continuous production of data-driven creative that meets brand objectives, as the designer in a creative partnership.
- Originate creative campaigns in partnership with team members, developing and researching accurate, high-quality, compelling images/concepts about beauty and brands with speed, following briefs and brand guidelines.
- Produce photo (and occasional video) shoots in partnership with a Content Strategist--- from ideation and shoot brief development through final asset delivery and design – leveraging client briefs, brand knowledge and data produced via our team of analysts to create arresting beauty visuals.
- Commission specialists, including as artists and photographers, to work on projects.
- Think through relevant and critical consumer differences of each target audience and/or retailer when producing any and all assets (Walmart vs Target, etc.)
- Adhere to brand guidelines, beautifully translating them for digital social assets and toolkits.
- Ensure that the image and design assets generated communicates the brands message through different campaign objectives e.g. brand recall or click through etc.
- Develop creative image and campaign treatment briefs.
- Manage projects and work within a budget in an agile, fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate with the rest of the combined Creative Content team, including Art/Design, Content/Copy and Client Services.
- Foster effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including photographers, studios, models and experts as well as peers and more senior internal stakeholders.
- 8+ years previous experience in a design agency, marketing agency or design technology organisation
- Have a strong understanding of designing within the parameters of clients’ brands.
- Have experience of working in the Beauty/Fragrance sector
- Portfolio of work demonstrating the creation of beautiful visuals delighting a digital audience.
- Ability to understand the role of brand and industry, market awareness and strategic business goals to campaign creation
- Passion for the ins and outs of the beauty industry & advertising campaigns in the beauty arena and interest in following these in real time
- Fluency with current and emerging beauty trends a plus.
- Expertise in creative and design tools (Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch and Invision)
- Multimedia skills an advantage (e.g. stills photograph, video shooting & editing)
- Passionate about new ways of creating stories through image and learning / experimenting with new tools
- An obsession with tracking which parts of your output have succeeded (or failed) with your audience - and spreading learnings to the rest of the team.
- Ability to work in a self-directed way in an unstructured, fast-changing environment
The following behaviours and characteristics are key to success in the job. Post holders are expected to demonstrate all these competencies when fully developed into the role.
- Visual design: Pixel perfect design execution
- Creative production: Ability to respond rapidly to creative briefs and create strong visual treatments and campaigns. Understanding of various formats for different digital platforms as well as POS design and print.
- Planning and Organising: Ability to think ahead to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, drawing from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Decision Making: Ready and able to take initiative, taking a proactive approach to work without close supervision.
- Communication: Are comfortable presenting ideas to senior stakeholders and internal Directors. Excellent communication skills. Ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. Able to make complex problems understood by a range of audiences.
- Team working: Collaborative and constructive attitude and approach when working with project and discipline teams. Pro-active attitude to utilising downtime to the benefit of the team.
- Resilience: Able to maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, challenging deadlines, increased workload, set-backs or when dealing with difficult situations. Approach to work is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
As a Beamly employee, you’ll also benefit from:
- Health insurance
- 14 vacation days per year
- Additional day off on your birthday
- Complimentary snacks and drinks
- Please include a cover letter, resume and portfolio in your application.
- Select qualified candidates will be invited for an initial interview. Successful candidates will be asked back for a second interview.
- Only applicants who have the right to work in the US will be considered.