Engineering Manager - Data
Beamly is a global product and marketing technology agency owned by Coty, an industry leader in beauty. We maintain an independent working environment and culture established through six years of agile product development.
We are fearless innovators of the art and science of digital marketing, combining engaging content creation, intelligent technology and state-of-the-art marketing science to deliver the future of digital marketing.
About the role
The Data Engineering Manager leads and manages the Engineering Team responsible for data systems development. The team supports key product development initiatives. The data engineers will also be required to work closely with the Platform Team in order to ensure successful operations of deployed products.
- Staff and run the data engineering team
- To ensure support and personal development of team members
- Ensure the data engineering team effectively support product delivery
- Deliver against the businesses product strategy
- Contribute to setting the business technical strategy
- Deliver against the businesses technical strategy
- Be an effective contributing member of the engineering management team
- Contribute to the development of business policy especially around data
- Assist with the development, implementation and operation of data policy and process
- Maintaining a view on current and emerging technologies in the data space and how they may be used to deliver value to Beamly
- Contributing to decisions around build/buy/ally for data products and capabilities
Required Skills & Experience
- A technology manager with experience of leading and engineering team
- Experience with hiring an engineering team
- A strong background in systems architecture
- Experience with event driven systems architecture
- Track record of delivering systems for processing data
- Experience of building platforms on Linux
- Experience of building platforms on AWS
- Experienced using git
- Good understanding of Python and JVM (Java or Scala) platform
- Experience of delivering API driven systems
- Good understanding of data storage technologies (some of; RDBMS, Redshift, Cassandra, Dynamo, MongoDB, Redis, Bigtable, etc.)
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Experience working in an test driven development environment
- The ability to strike a balance between long term business planning needs and short term agile delivery needs
- Understanding of operational requirements (continuous delivery, monitoring, alerting)
- Understanding of core internet and web enabling technologies (IP, DNS, HTTP)
- Experience of leading a team in a matrix organisation
- Experience of delivering systems within the marketing and advertising technology space
- Good understanding of the technologies relevant to digital marketing, in particular web platforms, social platforms and digital display advertising.
- Understanding of analytics technologies
- AWS Solutions Architecture Certified
- Knowledge of networking technologies
- Use of terraform
- Lambda architecture
- Experience with Spark
- Experience with Hadoop
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience with docker
- Experience with node.js
- Understanding of data compliance rules and regulations
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the development of an indispensable platform, built using state of the art technology by a diverse and talented team. You’ll join the Data Platform team in our dynamic central Covent Garden office. We practise TDD, continuous integration, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, Friday ‘Show & Tell’, regular hack days, and set time aside for continuous improvement and learning.
We are keen to see our engineers flourish and will dedicate time to helping you improve the breadth and depth of your professional skill set. We will also provide help with obtaining AWS certifications.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- A high spec MacBook Pro
- Complimentary fruit, snacks, bagels and drinks
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Additional holiday on your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
Beamly is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products, and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
- We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
- We'll arrange a 45 minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience and your approach to working within an agile team.
- We'll invite you to our office to meet our team and take part in a 45-minute work sample task. We'll provide a laptop loaded with a project and some instructions, which will reflect the sort of work you'd be doing in the role. We'll then spend 30 minutes talking through your solution and answering any other questions you may have, and 40 minutes in a mock definition session with team members from different disciplines. The whole visit lasts about 2 hours.
Any questions? If you have any queries whatsoever, there’s a box on the application form where you can let us know. We'll address them by e-mail or during the phone interview.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.