Beamly is a fast-growing next generation digital marketing and technology agency with gross revenues of $120m+ and a team of 160+ sitting primarily in London and New York but with broader delivery teams right across the world.
Beamly’s product team of 70+ product managers, engineers, designers and data scientists sit entirely in our Covent Garden, London offices. Beamly was acquired by COTY Inc in October 2015, which as the 3rd largest beauty company in the world has opened up uniquely rich engagement across global brands including Calvin Klein, Gucci, Burberry, Rimmel, Max Factor, Covergirl, Sally Hansen, Wella and Clairol. Further Beamly has a growing client base outside of COTY and outside of beauty.
About the role
As a Systems Engineer at Beamly, you’ll work as a critical part of the platform team responsible for both continually improving and maintaining our highly automated AWS based infrastructure and shared services.
You’ll also provide a foundation to the wider engineering team through a combination of rigorous automation and tooling.
You’ll come from a leading-edge software or systems engineering background and have a real passion for pre-empting issues, automating away pain by determining root causes and solving for them. You’ll find and fix things before they even become problems.
You will also be a member of the Systems Engineering ‘Guild’ within Beamly. We seek individual excellence within collaborative teams.
What you'll do
- Proactively scans the marketplace for innovative new ways to apply automation and self-healing across an integrated infrastructure
- Productionises services on AWS to ensure they are self-healing, appropriately monitored, and thoroughly documented for agreed user groups
- Proactively leads work with the wider engineering team to find opportunities for improvement and delivering solutions
- Ensures best practice security through maintenance, patching and monitoring, taking remedial action in the event of a breach
- Delivers continuous service improvement through interfacing across the service management team
- Enhances delivery by supporting internal teams and external service providers to understand and drive full utilization of the platform
- Demonstrates initiative proactively suggesting ways to further improve infrastructure capability suite
- Contributes to exceptional recruitment and development processes
- Contributes to the development of deployment and operational standards
- Inspires confidence and credibility amongst your squad and tribe peers in infrastructure
- Proactively brings forward innovation ideas to your guild, sharing knowledge and experience
- Seeks opportunity to own key components of project delivery
- Inspires a sense of team and collaboration
- Leads by example through living the Beamly values
- Passionate about systems engineering and delivering quality maintainable systems
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity about how new innovation can further improve infrastructure and shared services
- Makes data driven decisions and drives the systems and processes to make this possible
- Sets clear and measurable objectives with stretch outcomes
- Sets and raises standards for the guild each quarter
- Supports hiring high performing guild members across tribes in conjunction with the VPs
- Creates a great environment at Beamly, both in and out of the office
What you'll bring to the role
Brings professional experience across the following:
- At least two systems/scripting languages (including Python)
- Working knowledge of UNIX and networking
- Running a Continuous deployment environment
- Running production services on AWS
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field, and / or 2 years of practical experience with any of the above
It’s a plus if you bring the following:
- Production experience with containerization
- An end-to-end understanding of modern web architectures from CDN to persistence layers
- Knowledge of effectively monitoring and measuring availability and reliability of web applications
- Experience of Infrastructure-as-code (Especially Terraform)
- Experience working across cloud environments (Especially Amazon Web Services)
- Configuration management tools (Especially Ansible)
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means joining a world-class team working on exciting challenges. Fortnightly we have ‘Scoff & Share’ lunches where we share knowledge across teams, and the whole company gathers together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We enjoy a dynamic working environment in Covent Garden – very well-connected and surrounded by loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Team members have also organised a lunchtime pool league, weekly football game, visiting manicure service, and deals on local gym classes.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- a high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
- private medical insurance (taxable)
- life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Extra day's holiday on your birthday
- childcare vouchers
- flexible office hours
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
- We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
- We'll arrange a 45-minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience.
- We'll invite you to our office to meet our team
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.