About the role:
As a Data Engineer at Beamly, you’ll be responsible for ensuring the development of our robust data platform. You’ll be part of the Data Intelligence Tribe which is responsible for bringing together all of the diverse data sources that Beamly has access to and turning it into intelligence. Covering digital experiences, media activation, campaign intelligence, trend monitoring and beyond, the Tribe ensures that Beamly lives it’s mission of being data-driven.
Our data platform’s purpose is to improve consumer experience and communications activity performance, to mitigate risk, drive product innovation and achieve operational excellence. You will contribute to the implementation and operation of the platform from data collection through storage and on to processing.
You will also be a member of the Data Engineering ‘Guild’ within Beamly. We seek individual excellence within collaborative teams.
What you'll do:
- Proactively scans the marketplace for innovative new ways to collect, store, process or activate data for analytics and / or consumer experience automation.
- Works seamlessly in Tribe / Squad with Data Scientists and other software engineers to:
- Operate and innovate Beamly data platform and associated data products.
- Continuously improve the design and architecture of the data platform.
- Productionises the management of data and the connection of data with marketplace partners to power analytics services and to activate tailored solution decisioning tools.
- Build batch processing systems, ETLs and data ingestion flows
- Build event driven processing systems
- Build API’s to front-end data science models with appropriate levels of security, authentication, logging, and modelling.
- Proactively leads work with the wider engineering team to find opportunities for improvement and to deliver solutions
- Supports the development of new processes and ways of working to ensure continuous improvement and innovation
- Delivers continuous service improvement through interfacing across the service management team
- Enhances delivery by supporting internal teams and external service providers to understand and drive full utilization of the platform
- Demonstrates initiative proactively suggesting ways to further improve data platform and analytics capability within context of broader infrastructure and capability suite
- Contributes to the achievement of exceptional deployment and operational standards by defining the opportunity for data engineering driven advancements
- Inspire confidence and credibility amongst your squad and tribe peers of the engineering delivery
- Proactively brings forward innovation ideas to your guild, sharing knowledge and experience
- Seeks opportunity to own key components of project delivery
- Contributes to exceptional recruitment and development processes
- Passionate about data engineering and delivering highly performant solutions systems that empower our brand partners to achieve high-impact business outcomes through data management and associated analytics.
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity about how new innovation can further improve infrastructure and shared services
- Makes data driven decisions and drives the systems and processes to make this possible
- Sets clear and measurable objectives with stretch outcomes
- Sets and raises standards for the guild each quarter
- Hires high performing guild members across tribes in conjunction with the VPs
- Creates a great environment at Beamly, both in and out of the office
What you'll bring to the role:
Brings professional experience across the following:
- At least two systems/scripting languages (including Python)
- Expert knowledge of UNIX and networking
- Expert in running a Continuous deployment environment
- Expert in running production services on AWS
- A degree in Computer Science or related field, and / or 2 years of practical experience with any of the above
- Knowledge of Data Modelling systems and technologies such as R, Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, Matplotlib
- Knowledge of platforms such as Airflow, AWS EMR, Docker, AWS Lambda, AWS SageMaker, AWS DataPipeline, AWS Kinesis Jupyter Qubole
- Knowledge of Databases / Processing such as RedShift, Athena, Postgres, Spark, Hive, Pig.
- Production experience with containerization
- An end-to-end understanding of modern web architectures from CDN to persistence layers
What it's like to work at Beamly:
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, engage in ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We are in the heart of the West End in Covent Garden which is well connected and very well served by a myriad of shops, bars and restaurants. Our team regularly organise various social activities which include a lunchtime pool league, weekly football games and a visiting manicure service.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- A high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
- Private medical insurance (taxable)
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Extra day's holiday on your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
- Flexible office hours
How our application process works:
- We'll check your CV against the requirements for the role.
- You'll visit us in Covent Garden for a 45-minute interview with the team – exact details to be shared in advance of meeting.
- You may be asked to come in for a second interview before a final decision is made.
- We are eager to build diverse teams and we strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. You are welcome to let us know if you have any questions or requests regarding the selection process or the role.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.