Data Scientist - Product
About the role
Beamly is a data-first company. Our mission is to ‘Power brand results through data-driven consumer experiences’. As a Data Scientist at Beamly, you’ll play a critical role in developing products and services that bring our data-first ambitions to life.
The Beamly ‘Data Science – Product’ team is responsible for designing and building the algorithms that power Beamly products. Following a full process of research and discover, build and validation, test and production, you’ll take the big data we collect and make it intelligent.
Research and discover: With exposure to all of the data sources in the Beamly arsenal, from advertising data, to consumer attribute data, to biometrics and beyond, you’ll have the opportunity to identify innovative models and applications that go beyond the obvious.
Build and validate: Drawing on your knowledge of algorithms and good engineering practice, you’ll build models that provably deliver against specific KPIs. Through validation cycles, you’ll iterate towards a solution that balances complexity with predictive power.
Test and production: Working closely with Data Engineers, you’ll see your models all the way into production and ensure that the approach scales to deliver the right experience. With a test-driven approach, your code will be robust and easy to maintain.
As part of the Data Science Chapter, you’ll also be able to use your experience and knowledge of analysis and modelling in other areas of Beamly and to support fellow Data Scientists.
What you'll do
- Use appropriate modelling techniques to predict customer lifecycle events, such as conversion, loyalty, churn etc
- Work with a variety of datasets including raw data collected from consumer experiences (1st party) and consumer attributes (3rd party)
- Identify and investigate new modelling techniques that bring clear added value to our systems
- Use appropriate modelling techniques to identify audience segments that can be used to target digital marketing more effectively.
- Use appropriate modelling techniques to create new user attributes and features that provide additional features for predictive models and for analysis
- Work alongside engineers to productionise new models.
- Work alongside QA and Test engineers to develop best practices for data quality assessment measures.
- Continuously investigate areas of opportunities from predictive analytics perspective by building and validating rapid POCs.
- Play an active role in refining the product direction with a particular focus on opportunities for predictive modelling.
- Apply a lean approach to development, ensuring the correctness of methodologies balanced against a pragmatic approach to delivering value in a timely fashion.
- Be able to explain the detail of predictive models and the approach taken to product stakeholders
- Work closely with other Data Scientists to develop new approaches and ensure a collaborative approach to model building
- Be an active part of the Data Science Chapter, contributing to the development of the discipline and growth of other Data Scientists
What you'll bring to the role
- Masters degree in a quantitative degree or computer science
- Strong statistics and probability understanding
- Experienced programmer in Python, and libraries such as pandas, scikit-learn, mlib, etc
- Experienced with SQL
- Experience dealing with large scale datasets
- Understanding of algorithm complexity and data structures
- Experience working with insight & analytics in a large organisation
- Experience with Beauty industry
- PhD in a quantitative degree or computer science
- Experience in any of the following a plus - natural language processing, Bayesian inference, econometric time series modelling
What’s it like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, TDD, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We enjoy a vibrant working environment in Covent Garden – very well-connected and surrounded by loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Team members have also organised a lunchtime pool league, weekly football game, visiting manicure service, and deals on local gym classes.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
a high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
private medical insurance (taxable)
life assurance (4 x base salary)
25 days’ holiday per annum
Extra day's holiday on your birthday
flexible office hours
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products, and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
We'll arrange a 45-60 minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience.
- We'll send you a task you can complete at home within a time window we've mutually agreed on.
We'll invite you to our office to present the work you've done, meet our team and some of our key stakeholders.
Any questions? If you have any queries whatsoever, there’s a box on the application form where you can let us know. We'll address them by e-mail or during the phone interview.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.