Senior Data Scientist
About the role:
Beamly is a data-first company. Our mission is to ‘Power brand results through data-driven consumer experiences’. As a Data Scientist at Beamly, you’ll play a critical role in developing products and services that bring our data-first ambitions to life.
The Beamly ‘Data Science – Product’ team is responsible for designing and building the algorithms that power Beamly products. Following a full process of research and discover, build and validation, test and production, you’ll take the big data we collect and make it intelligent.
Research and discover: With exposure to all of the data sources in the Beamly arsenal, from advertising data, to consumer attribute data, to biometrics and beyond, you’ll have the opportunity to identify innovative models and applications that go beyond the obvious.
Build and validate: Drawing on your knowledge of algorithms and good engineering practice, you’ll build models that provably deliver against specific KPIs. Through validation cycles, you’ll iterate towards a solution that balances complexity with predictive power.
Test and production: Working closely with Data Engineers, you’ll see your models all the way into production and ensure that the approach scales to deliver the right experience. With a test-driven approach, your code will be robust and easy to maintain.
As part of the Data Science Chapter, you’ll also be able to use your experience and knowledge of analysis and modelling in other areas of Beamly and to support fellow Data Scientists.
What you'll do:
- Use appropriate modelling techniques to predict customer lifecycle events, such as conversion, loyalty, churn etc
- Work with a variety of datasets including raw data collected from consumer experiences (1st party) and consumer attributes (3rd party)
- Identify and investigate new modelling techniques that bring clear added value to our systems
- Use appropriate modelling techniques to identify audience segments that can be used to target digital marketing more effectively.
- Use appropriate modelling techniques to create new user attributes and features that provide additional features for predictive models and for analysis
- Work alongside engineers to productionise new models.
- Work alongside QA and Test engineers to develop best practices for data quality assessment measures.
- Continuously investigate areas of opportunities from predictive analytics perspective by building and validating rapid POCs.
- Play an active role in refining the product direction with a particular focus on opportunities for predictive modelling.
- Apply a lean approach to development, ensuring the correctness of methodologies balanced against a pragmatic approach to delivering value in a timely fashion.
- Be able to explain the detail of predictive models and the approach taken to product stakeholders
- Work closely with other Data Scientists to develop new approaches and ensure a collaborative approach to model building
- Be an active part of the Data Science Chapter, contributing to the development of the discipline and growth of other Data Scientists
What you'll bring to the role:
- Masters degree in a quantitative degree or computer science
- Strong statistics and probability understanding
- Experienced programmer in Python, and libraries such as pandas, scikit-learn, mlib, etc
- Experience with Big Data platforms, and using Spark-based technologies
- Experienced with SQL
- Experience dealing with large scale datasets
- Understanding of algorithm complexity and data structures
- Experience working with insight & analytics in a large organisation
- Experience with Beauty industry
- PhD in a quantitative degree or computer science
- Experience in any of the following a plus - natural language processing, Bayesian inference, econometric time series modelling
What it's like to work at Beamly:
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, engage in ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We are in the heart of the West End in Covent Garden which is well connected and very well served by a myriad of shops, bars and restaurants. Our team regularly organise various social activities which include a lunchtime pool league, weekly football games and a visiting manicure service.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- Competitive pay package
- A high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
- Private medical insurance (taxable)
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Extra day's holiday on your birthday
- Flexible office hours
How our application process works:
- We'll check your CV against the requirements for the role.
- You'll visit us in Covent Garden for a 45-minute interview with the team – exact details to be shared in advance of meeting.
- You may be asked to come in for a second interview before a final decision is made.
- We are eager to build diverse teams and we strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. You are welcome to let us know if you have any questions or requests regarding the selection process or the role.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.