Senior Data Software Engineer
Working at Beamly:
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, TDD, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from:
- Free breakfast and drinks
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Regular company socials
- Private medical insurance (taxable)
- Discounted gym membership
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 5% pension contribution
- Interest free travel loan
- 25 days holiday per annum + extra day holiday on your birthday
- Flexible office hours
About the role:
As Senior Engineer at Beamly in Data Intelligence, you’ll be responsible for ensuring the development of our robust data platform. You’ll lead the implementation of the platform from data collection through storage and on to processing. Your knowhow will inform how we make the right product decisions. You’ll make sure that we strike the right balance between efficient and robust, evolving the architecture as the business grows.
You will come from a software background and have a real passion for delivering innovative software platforms. You’ll understand the architecture trade-offs and have a good understanding of the data tier within a system. You’ll have experience in leading the delivery of complex platforms.
Your responsibilities will be to:
- Work with Data Scientists and other software engineers to deliver our platform-based product.
- Lead by example through living the Beamly values.
- Make the right compromises and leads others to do so.
- Lead definition and design of products and projects.
- Share knowledge and experience.
- Maintain a balance between the short term and the long term.
- Contribute to the design and architecture of the platform.
- Design and develop batch processing systems, ETLs and data ingestion flows
- Build event driven processing systems.
- Build API’s to front-end data science models with appropriate levels of security, authentication, logging, and modelling.
- Educate the business on how to use the data driven system to meet Beamly’s objectives.
- Helps to develop and mentor junior team members.
- Contributes to the education of the wider business.
What you'll bring to the role:
- Professional experience in developing applications & tools in at least two systems/scripting languages (one of which should be Python, Java or Scala)
- Python will be used for implementations
- Experience in developing platforms to run on AWS
- A good knowledge of UNIX and networking
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment
- Have a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Science or a related field, or the equivalent commercial experience
Knowledge of the following systems and technologies is preferable:
Data Modelling - R, Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, Matplotlib
Platforms - Airflow, AWS EMR, Docker, AWS Lambda, AWS SageMaker, AWS DataPipeline, AWS Kinesis, Jupyter, Qubole
Databases/Processing - RedShift, Athena, Postgres, Spark, Hive, Pig
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.