Senior Systems Engineer
Beamly is a data-first technology company with IP and expertise centred around end-to-end data capabilities ranging from infrastructure to platforms to applications. You will be joining a team of like-minded individuals who are highly-skilled, yet both continuously learning and happy to mentor others. We are diligent and hard-working, yet know how to have a good laugh.
You can find more about how the wider Beamly Engineering Team works in our Engineering Charter.
Joining us as part of our team means you’ll benefit from:
- Flexible working hours (40 hours a week) and working from home policy
- 25 days holiday per annum + extra day holiday on your birthday
- Regular company socials
- Private medical insurance (taxable)
- Discounted gym membership
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 5% pension contribution
- Interest free travel loan
- Employee referral scheme
- Free breakfast and drinks
- On-site football pitch
- Weekly yoga and fitness classes
About the role:
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will be working across product teams in a varied and ever-changing technical environment, to build, deploy and maintain services in our AWS environment. You will be supported by other engineers whom are highly-skilled in your discipline.
You will come from a software or systems engineering background and have a real passion for pre-empting issues, automating away pain, and finding root causes. You’ll find and fix things before they even become problems.
Our tech stack includes:
- Continuous delivery with ThoughtWorks GoCD
- HashiCorp stack: Terraform, Packer, Vagrant
- Automation tooling written in Python
- Orchestration and provisioning with Terraform and Ansible
- Graylog & Datadog
- MySQL & Postgres
- Databricks & Airflow
- Lots of AWS services
Our solutions are constantly evolving and we're always open to exploring new technologies and tools when they solve a problem.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Works across teams helping them provision their infrastructure in AWS using our Terraform modules.
- Iterates on these modules to add flexibility, simplify them and keep them up-to-date with latest Terraform changes.
- Proactively works with these teams to ensure their software is built in a way that is performant, scalable and reliable in a cloud environment.
- Has a wide understanding and experience of AWS’s services and can suggest & help support their use across the company
- Spikes the use of new technology and leads their adoption throughout the company
- Proactively automates away pain points (preferably using Python)
- Believe monitoring of systems is essential to maintain a good service
- Understands the value of Continuous Integration and Delivery
- Is happy to help out in other Engineering areas on occasion (e.g. happy to learn some Data Engineering if the need arises)
- Monitoring of Cloud-hosted Linux systems and applications
It’s a plus if:
- You have experience with services in Google Cloud Platform
- You have an end-to-end understanding of modern cloud-based data processing
- Experience building multi-tenanted systems
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products, and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
- We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
- We'll arrange a 45-minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience.
- We'll invite you to our office to meet our team. This will last approximately 3 hours and consist of:
- A technical interview
- A practical Terraform exercise
- A collaboration / system design exercise
If you have any queries whatsoever, there’s a box on the application form where you can let us know. We'll address them by e-mail or during the phone interview.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.